Home of the Jets

Home of the Jets
October 31, 2010

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

One week away. 

The Yankees will have their 2011 season underway. More importantly, fantasy baseball will be on the minds of stat geeks everywhere. You all know who you are.

To help prepare for my 12-team league, I am doing a mock draft. The problem is it is with 11 strangers who could know as much about baseball as Paris Hilton. I will go pick-by-pick strategy through the first six rounds and then get back to watching the Rangers hopefully win. Let me know if you agree or disagree with any of my commentary.

I have the seventh pick. I really want Robinson Cano. You wonder about taking Alex Rodriguez here also. But some guy took A-Rod fourth. Does he know something? Well I passed on Longoria, Braun, and Carlos Gonzalez to take Cano. He is the best second baseman in the game. It is the most shallow position in fantasy baseball. He should have more than 30 home runs and 120 runs batted in with a .320 average.

Second round. Good opportunity to take a stud starting pitcher. By stud I mean someone with last name Halladay or Hernandez. In THIS draft I could not pass up Doc Halladay. He has had injury problems in the past. But he has potential to win 25 games and strike out 200+ with a tiny ERA. When you get a guy this reliable, the next round to take a starter is not as close by as it would be otherwise.

Third round. This is when the best available player consists of several guys you can't really decide on. I took Adam Dunn. He is in the American League and should hit 40 home runs with a lot more RBI than he had with the Nationals. Guys on the White Sox actually get ON base.

Fourth round. Josh Johnson, Ubaldo Jimenez, and CC Sabathia are all available. I take Justin Morneau instead. Another first baseman. This guy is a former MVP well in his prime who hits for a high average and will mash the ball out of Target Field all year. Not bad for a Canadian, eh?

Fifth round. Like I mentioned earlier. Who are these guys in this draft?! Somehow Josh Johnson is still available. He won just 11 games last year but he struck out close to 200 with a 2.30 ERA. King Felix won the AL Cy Young with similar numbers. Look for more run support from the Marlins for Johnson. Halladay and Johnson on the same team in a 12-team league? Not bad at all.

Sixth round. I would name this team the NL East. I took Brian McCann here. Catcher is a position you want to have somebody good. He is a top five guy who is coming off a subpar year.

Questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment